Here’s a concise update based on recent reporting.
Core answer
- There have been confirmed deaths of three women after they were pulled from the sea off Brighton, with police and coastguard continuing investigations and the beach reopening after initial responses. Sussex Police have identified the victims and notified next of kin where possible, while asking the public to avoid speculation as inquiries continue. [Sources include Sky News, ITV Meridian, BBC, The Guardian, and The Independent, with ongoing coverage through mid-May 2026.]
Context and timeline
- Early May 2026: Reports indicated concerns for people in the water near Madeira Drive, Brighton, leading to the recovery of three bodies and a coastguard search underway. The scene prompted a coastguard and emergency services response. [Sky News summary of police update on May 7, 2026; ITV Meridian May 12–14 coverage.]
- May 12–14, 2026: Authorities confirmed the three women likely entered the sea near Brighton from the beach and got into difficulty; the beach was reopened once operations were established. Sussex Police stressed identification of the victims and contacting families as priorities. [BBC, Guardian, ITV Meridian, Independent coverage.]
- May 13–14, 2026: Police indicated they believed the identities had been established and next of kin notified, while investigations continued to determine exact circumstances and rule out third-party involvement. [BBC, ITV Meridian, The Independent.]
What this means for Brighton residents and visitors
- The incident is treated as a tragic drowning event with ongoing investigations; authorities are asking the public to avoid speculation and to follow official updates. If you or someone you know has information, contact the police with reference to Operation Ledmore as noted in official statements. [UK-wide outlets reporting standard police briefings.]
Safety and staying informed
- For the latest, check trusted local outlets and official Sussex Police updates, as initial details can evolve during investigations. If you’d like, I can pull a live, aggregated update from major outlets and summarize any new developments. I can also provide a brief timeline visualization of the coverage as it evolved.
Would you like me to compile a current, sourced timeline of events with direct quotes and links, or pull the latest official statements from Sussex Police?
Sources
Catch up below with a Sussex Police update after the bodies of three women were recovered at Brighton beach.
news.sky.comWatch the latest from ITV News - The latest from Madeira Drive in Brighton as Sussex Police and the coastguard remain at the scene
www.itv.comSussex police say officers are working to identify women and understand what happened to them
www.theguardian.comPolice say the women may have entered the water from the beach near to where they were found at Madeira Drive, and got into difficulty. ITV News Meridian
www.itv.comWitnesses said paramedics tried to revive the woman
www.independent.co.ukSussex Police say it would not be appropriate to publicly name them at this stage.
www.bbc.comSussex Police say they believe the three women who drowned in the sea in Brighton have now been identified, and their next of kin has been informed. ITV News Meridian
www.itv.comSussex Police will not publicly name the women until the formal identification procedures are finished
www.independent.co.ukPolice say the women may have entered the water from the beach near to where they were found at Madeira Drive, and got into difficulty. ITV News Meridian
www.itv.comThe man died at the scene after getting into difficulty in the water, police said
www.independent.co.uk